In episode 38 I talk with Sumita Pandit of dLocal. dLocal powers local payments connecting merchants with billions of emerging market consumers through one single API.
This special episode was recorded at LendIt Fintech LatAm in Miami on Dec. 7, 2021.
Sumita and I discussed dLocal’s journey from being a startup in Uruguay to a global publicly-traded fintech firm that’s listed on the U.S.-based NASDAQ. We talked about how dLocal was able to move beyond just LatAm to have a global reach and impact.
Are LatAm public companies viewed on the same footing as a U.S.-based company, or is there still a discount attached to LatAm-based companies? We also talked about the importance of focusing on emerging markets and why it takes a different mindset to operate and be successful in this environment.
So without further ado, Sumita Pandit of dLocal. I hope you all enjoy the show and be prepared to learn about:
- Sumita’s journey to dLocal
- How dLocal managed to move beyond Uruguay
- Why it’s all about the mindset
- How some countries in LatAm compare to India
- The LatAm discount, and whether or not it still exists
- Why dLocal focused on emerging economies
- Why nimbleness is such an asset
- Similarities in the regulatory environment of emerging economies
- 50 percent of credit card transactions can be declined in these markets
- The different meanings of financial inclusion
- Covid has had a positive impact on dLocals business and operations
- And much more…